IC2 Technical Program Manager
I deliver well-specified program tasks efficiently and independently to achieve team-level goals
Area of ownership and level of autonomy / ambiguity
Organizational reach and extent of influence
Technical levers typically exercised to achieve business impact
- I execute on defined projects to achieve team-level goals.
- I independently define the right solutions or use |existing approaches to solve defined problems.
- I work primarily within the scope of my team with high level guidance from my manager/TL
- Craft - I am increasingly mastering my craft and leverage it for higher impact (e.g. software design)
- Mentorship - I may mentor new hires, interns, or more junior engineers.
- I act with urgency and deliver high-quality work that will add the most value
- I work with my manager to direct my focus so my work advances my team's goals
- I prioritize the right things and don't overcomplicate my work. When necessary, I propose appropriate scope adjustments.
- I effectively participate in the core processes of my team, including recommending and implementing process improvements
- I follow through on my commitments, take responsibility for my work, and deliver on time
- I proactively identify and advocate for opportunities to improve the current state of projects
- I own my failures and learn from them
- I think a step or two ahead in my work, solve the right problems before they become bigger problems, and problem-solve with my manager when I'm stuck
- I Identify and gather input from others and consider customer needs to make informed and timely decisions
- I’m open to change and enthusiastic about new initiatives
- I work with my manager to navigate complex and ambiguous situations
- I ask questions and contribute to new ideas/approaches
- I experiment with new approaches and share what I learned
- I proactively ask for feedback from those I work with and identify ways to act upon it
- I have self-awareness about my strengths and areas for development
- I drive discussions with my manager about aspirational goals and seek out opportunities to learn and grow
- I contribute to interviewing and assessing candidates to help us build a diverse and talented team. I am calibrated and consistently perform high-signal interviews
- I am able to represent my team’s initiatives and goals to candidates in a compelling way
- I model integrity and a high standard of excellence for my work.
- I help the more junior members of my team, host interns, or am a residency mentor
- I offer honest feedback that is delivered with empathy to help others learn and grow
- I can effectively collaborate to get work done
- I work with my manager to manage conflict with empathy and cooperation in mind
- I contribute to a positive sense of community on the team (e.g. engage in team lunches, team offsites, and other group activities, help with new-hire on-boarding).
- I listen to different perspectives and I cut biases from my words and actions
- I practice the Dropbox Diversity Commitments on a regular basis
- I write and speak clearly
- I listen to understand others and ask clarifying questions
- I share relevant information on my projects to my manager, team and customers.
I operate as an effective member of a team and, with guidance from more senior TPMs, often manage sub-components of programs. I often mentor new hires, interns, or more junior TPMs, while delivering well-specified tasks efficiently and independently. I am primarily expected to focus on becoming a master of my craft as a TPM, assisting more junior team members, and contribute to the technical and product decisions for my team.
- I can independently run sub-projects of programs or own short term projects.
- I take input from stakeholders about projects and program components I own. I use this data to influence technical decisions as well as refine processes
- I’m able to effectively leverage and apply components of process frameworks for my assigned sub-projects and short term projects.
- I am able to identify risks and issues and manage mitigation and resolution strategies.
- I effectively break down projects and communicate the plan/progress to my team and leadership.
- I have working knowledge and /or direct experience in working in a technical domain such as software development, system administration, quality engineering, etc.
- I understand technical elements that are part of the programs I manage and can effectively communicate about it to engineers, managers and other TPMs.