IC2 Reliability Engineer
I deliver well-designed, resilient, and sustainable solutions to achieve team-level resilience goals
Area of ownership and level of autonomy / ambiguity
Organizational reach and extent of influence
Technical levers typically exercised to achieve business impact
- I execute on defined projects to achieve team-level goals.
- I independently define the right solutions or use |existing approaches to solve defined problems.
- I work primarily within the scope of my team with high level guidance from my manager/TL
- Craft - I am increasingly mastering my craft and leverage it for higher impact (e.g. software design)
- Mentorship - I may mentor new hires, interns, or more junior engineers.
- I act with urgency and deliver high-quality work that will add the most value
- I work with my manager to direct my focus so my work advances my team's goals
- I prioritize the right things and don't overcomplicate my work. When necessary, I propose appropriate scope adjustments.
- I effectively participate in the core processes of my team, including recommending and implementing process improvements
- I follow through on my commitments, take responsibility for my work, and deliver on time
- I proactively identify and advocate for opportunities to improve the current state of projects
- I own my failures and learn from them
- I think a step or two ahead in my work, solve the right problems before they become bigger problems, and problem-solve with my manager when I'm stuck
- I Identify and gather input from others and consider customer needs to make informed and timely decisions
- I’m open to change and enthusiastic about new initiatives
- I work with my manager to navigate complex and ambiguous situations
- I ask questions and contribute to new ideas/approaches
- I experiment with new approaches and share what I learned
- I proactively ask for feedback from those I work with and identify ways to act upon it
- I have self-awareness about my strengths and areas for development
- I drive discussions with my manager about aspirational goals and seek out opportunities to learn and grow
- I contribute to interviewing and assessing candidates to help us build a diverse and talented team. I am calibrated and consistently perform high-signal interviews
- I am able to represent my team’s initiatives and goals to candidates in a compelling way
- I model integrity and a high standard of excellence for my work.
- I help the more junior members of my team, host interns, or am a residency mentor
- I offer honest feedback that is delivered with empathy to help others learn and grow
- I can effectively collaborate to get work done
- I work with my manager to manage conflict with empathy and cooperation in mind
- I contribute to a positive sense of community on the team (e.g. engage in team lunches, team offsites, and other group activities, help with new-hire on-boarding).
- I listen to different perspectives and I cut biases from my words and actions
- I practice the Dropbox Diversity Commitments on a regular basis
- I write and speak clearly
- I listen to understand others and ask clarifying questions
- I share relevant information on my projects to my manager, team and customers.
My primary craft focus is consistently delivering and improving high-quality systems and code in service of increasing the reliability of Dropbox. I am beginning to develop skills in designing system components and translating reliability, sustainability and efficiency requirements into simple projects.
- I understand OS, networks, or hardware and can debug system issues and identify system bottlenecks.
- I am able to understand and improve the system’s health such as utilization and performance.
- I identify the toil and reduce it with automation for operating systems efficiently.
- I can navigate through a full stack application (client/load-balancer/frontend/backend/DB) and build proficiency on the right tools to dig into the system issues at different levels.
- I begin to understand how systems fail and work with teams to reduce the risks.
- I have a pragmatic understanding of software limitations and how to identify reliability risks.
- I translate ideas into clear code, written to be read as well as executed.
- My code is free of glaring errors - bugs are in edge cases or design, not mainline paths - and is well documented and well tested with appropriate use of manual vs automated tests.
- I am able to read and navigate through a large code base and effectively debug others’ code.
- I address code tasks with both high throughput and appropriately high quality for the stage of project I am working on.