IC2 Quality Assurance Engineer
I plan and drive testing for the high risk projects developed by my team(s) and identify and fix simple quality process / education problems improving long term quality
Area of ownership and level of autonomy / ambiguity
Organizational reach and extent of influence
Technical levers typically exercised to achieve business impact
- I execute on defined projects to achieve team-level goals.
- I independently define the right solutions or use |existing approaches to solve defined problems.
- I work primarily within the scope of my team with high level guidance from my manager/TL
- Craft - I am increasingly mastering my craft and leverage it for higher impact (e.g. software design)
- Mentorship - I may mentor new hires, interns, or more junior engineers.
- I act with urgency and deliver high-quality work that will add the most value
- I work with my manager to direct my focus so my work advances my team's goals
- I prioritize the right things and don't overcomplicate my work. When necessary, I propose appropriate scope adjustments.
- I effectively participate in the core processes of my team, including recommending and implementing process improvements
- I follow through on my commitments, take responsibility for my work, and deliver on time
- I proactively identify and advocate for opportunities to improve the current state of projects
- I own my failures and learn from them
- I think a step or two ahead in my work, solve the right problems before they become bigger problems, and problem-solve with my manager when I'm stuck
- I Identify and gather input from others and consider customer needs to make informed and timely decisions
- I’m open to change and enthusiastic about new initiatives
- I work with my manager to navigate complex and ambiguous situations
- I ask questions and contribute to new ideas/approaches
- I experiment with new approaches and share what I learned
- I proactively ask for feedback from those I work with and identify ways to act upon it
- I have self-awareness about my strengths and areas for development
- I drive discussions with my manager about aspirational goals and seek out opportunities to learn and grow
- I contribute to interviewing and assessing candidates to help us build a diverse and talented team. I am calibrated and consistently perform high-signal interviews
- I am able to represent my team’s initiatives and goals to candidates in a compelling way
- I model integrity and a high standard of excellence for my work.
- I help the more junior members of my team, host interns, or am a residency mentor
- I offer honest feedback that is delivered with empathy to help others learn and grow
- I can effectively collaborate to get work done
- I work with my manager to manage conflict with empathy and cooperation in mind
- I contribute to a positive sense of community on the team (e.g. engage in team lunches, team offsites, and other group activities, help with new-hire on-boarding).
- I listen to different perspectives and I cut biases from my words and actions
- I practice the Dropbox Diversity Commitments on a regular basis
- I write and speak clearly
- I listen to understand others and ask clarifying questions
- I share relevant information on my projects to my manager, team and customers.
At this level, I drive testing for small-to-medium sized projects, identify and fix simple quality process issues with assistance as needed from my EM / TL and explain effective testing and quality process principles to developers enabling them to execute testing related activities.
QA Collaborative Reach at L2
QA Engineers support one or two teams that are small-to-medium in terms of the number of engineers whose surface areas are relatively straightforward in their complexity.
- My testing is informed by the specs, basic knowledge of the architecture, and reasonable assumptions (e.g. frontend vs backend changes).
- I proactively work with subject matter experts to identify test cases that would require domain knowledge (edge cases related to code architecture, test cases around integration points) to ensure my testing is thorough
- I have familiarity with several types of testing (e.g. frontend, backend, automation, usability, or a specific platform)
- I exhibit good attention to detail and consistently notice bugs that might not be caught by a verification step
- I provide valuable test case reviews in areas I know well
- I may be a subject matter expert on testing some part of Dropbox functionality
- I work with eng DRIs to define and prioritize which test cases can and should be automated
- My bug reports contain enough detailed information for developers enabling them to quickly identify the root cause making the bugs more actionable
- I work with my Manager and/or TL to identify high risk projects that I will embed within.
- I plan and execute testing of small to medium size projects that could span multiple sprints, including estimating and prioritizing QA tasks
- I prioritize test coverage based on straightforward criteria (e.g. happy path vs. not, number of users on a platform, customer impact, etc..)
Quality Process Strategy
- I understand the established Quality Processes that drive effective quality management and I am learning how changes in their execution can impact quality
- I identify, surface, and fix simple process/testability issues within the team(s) I am supporting with assistance as needed from EM / TL
- I proactively and clearly report status and quality risks to partners and team for the work that I directly own and I am able to leverage basic quality metrics effectively when doing this.
- I teach the basic skills of Testing Fluency to cross functional partners; for developers this improves their ability to test their own code.
- I explain and advocate (with the support of more senior QAEs) for established quality process that enable effective quality management to stakeholders (e.g. PM, EM, TL) and developers.
- I proactively engage cross functional partners (e.g. PM ,CX,) to learn more about my customers, and work to resolve quality challenges they see
- I use my understanding of the customer to provide clear and compelling arguments for fixing or not fixing various bugs